Posted by Picasa

Monday, April 10, 2006

PIT ROT

Poor Stinkpups…they seem to have inherited their mother’s bad teeth…Mr. BigStink has big, healthy, straight, rock-hard teeth…It’s just his mouth that’s foul!!! I’ve been riddled with dental problems since I was little. And, just like me, the Pups have also become massive teeth grinders…(BigStinkPup has ground his four top front teeth down by a third…the dentist said not to worry, and that it usually ceases once adult teeth come in.)

Even braces didn’t work on me…I had them in the 10th grade, and when they came off, they were so pretty and straight…but the retainer…that thing hurt so much…like my whole head was in a vice. I would wake up in the middle of the night and it would be gone…Once I actually thought I must have chewed it up in my sleep and swallowed it because I couldn’t find it anyplace. I eventually located it…it was under my bed. How the hell it got under there from the inside of my mouth is just so crazy to even think about. Anyway…my top teeth are now back to being crooked. Yay.

BigStinkPup just had two cavities filled, and he’s only five. There were sizeable spaces between his two back molars on both sides, and that’s where the decay formed. He was terrified to go to the dentist. I blame it on the movie, Finding Nemo, with that scary ass dentist and his drill. I basically had to beg, cajole and bribe him to go. Well, let me tell you…once we got there…he freaking LOVED it. They’re uber-decked out with all the bells and whistles at this dentist office…From the fish pond in the backyard, to the flat screens mounted on the ceilings, headphones, free chapstick and sunglasses…not to mention the giant toy chest that the kids can choose a toy out of…BigStinkPup was in Heaven. He could barely suppress his smile as the x-ray machine circled around his head, while he bit down on the mouth piece and held onto the handles. He thought it was like something straight out of Star Wars. The dentist said he was a “delightful patient”. I was so relieved, and also happy the whole thing was over…BTW, I made sure not to open my mouth too widely when we were there, in fear of them seeing the cavernous mess and them recoiling in fear…Shit, I really need to make an appointment. It’s been way too long.

So…the other day, I’m brushing BabyStinkPup’s teeth, and I see that he has two tiny pits appearing on the front of his little top canine’s. Like two small pin holes. I think to myself, “Oh, great…PIT-ROT”…I can only hope he does as well as his big brother did at the dentist, because we have an appointment today.

Speaking of PIT-ROT! I actually got that word from Mr. BS’s older brother. I call him BIL, as in, duh, Brother-In-Law. I know, I’m a dork, whatever, getting back to the story…BIL has three kids and their youngest, they call her Wheezy for short, used to fall asleep with her bottle, and milk would trickle out of her mouth, down her face, and into the crack of her armpit. She had a recurring rash develop from it, and they had to put this special ointment on it to make it go away…BIL called it PIT-ROT, too good of a term not to use again!

PS. A friend of mine once pointed out to me that the word ointment is a really gross sounding word to say aloud. Go ahead…say it once…out loud…OINT-MENT. Hahaha…still makes me laugh every time!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home